Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Eating Disorders

Hi, I have a question about eating disorders, specifically anorexia. So I'm 13 years old and I currently weight about 117, I'm also 5'5". I started out at around 130 but I've been either not eating entirely or eating very little. Aside from the few days when there was no way to do so without being obvious. My goal weight is somewhere around 100 or so but I wanted some advice along the way. I kinda have a lot of questions and stuff so ya sorry. Uh first off I guess would be that my family has kind of caught on and keeps asking when I last ate and saying I look skinny(I don't). I don't really care if they eventually get it but then that would lead to a whole bunch of other stuff that they dont know about. We went out last night and they practically forced food down my throat and now I feel terrible and fat. I'm really going for the look of hip/rib bones that stand out and a stomach that is concave-ish. I also want smaller thighs but it seems like not eating would show more on my stomach so I'll take what I can get. How long would it take to get the look/weight I want? Sorry a lot of that was just rambling and there's still a whole bunch more but I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks

Hi Maddie,

Please don't do this to yourself. You are a beautiful young woman and I would hate for you to do lasting damage to your body. Instead of focusing on your weight, why don't you work on improving your body image?

Here are a variety of books and websites that you might find helpful:

Body Dysmorphia:

The Body Image Workbook by Thomas Cash -

Diet of Despair by Anna Paterson -

-Here are several good web resources for healing eating disordered thinking:

I hope this helps. If not, I encourage you to seek treatment. You only have one body. Please honor and respect yourself and your body enough not to starve yourself.  

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government