Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Recovering from Anorexia

I'm trying to recover from 5 years of anorexia (I'm 19) I'm really struggling with gaining weight. I always start off well I gain weigh and eat quite a lot but after my BMI gets to around 16 I freak out and lose the weight again and seem to be trapped in this vicous cycle.

So my question is how do I break this cycle. I am currently trying to recover but I don't want to go backwards so how do I break this cycle and deal with all the guilt I feel? Also how many calories should I aim to eat per day? (I don't do much exercise only horse riding an hour a week) (I'm 5'9 and 105 lbs)

Thank you :)

Hi Caroline,

I am so sorry you've been struggling with your anorexia for so long. I think we need to take a two-pronged approach here. First, we need to work on your body image. Second, we need to work on your diet.

1) We need to work on your negative body image. Have you thought about therapy? If you are not ready to do that, then I recommend you start working on your own to improve your body image.

I recommend the following resources:

The Body Image Workbook by Thomas Cash -

Diet of Despair by Anna Paterson -

In addition, here are several good web resources for healing your eating disordered thinking:

2) You didn't mention what you are eating and that is just as important as the number of calories you are taking in.

Go to this website and create a profile: Once you've done that, it will tell you how much you should be eating of each food group each day. If you click around, you'll even find sample meal plans.

I hope you find these resources helpful. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government