Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Is my friend suffering from anorexia and in denial about it ?

Hi , I could be very wrong and she could be perfect but I'm quite worried about my best friend. She's just gone 18 . shes about 5"4 and the last time she told me she was around 11 stone. Lately I've noticed she's become obsessed with her weight and size. I talked to her about it and she told me she was eating a bowl of cereal and 5 pieces of fruit and veg a day ! That's all ! She thinks its perfectly normal to eat that much ! I tried suggesting that she may be suffering from anorexia but she refused to even listen to me , she said she was eating , not a lot but that she was on a diet ! She's also excercising a lot ! So should I be worried or am I totally over reacting? Was I right or wrong to say it to her ? Thanks

Hi Kate,

I am so sorry you are going through this with your friend. You have every right to be concerned. Have you tried talking to her parents or a school counselor about your concerns?

In the meantime, I encourage you to check out these websites for tips for dealing with friends suffering from anorexia.

I hope you find these resources helpful and that your friend gets into treatment ASAP. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions or do anything else to help.

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government