Anorexia/Eating Disorders/How can I help my friend?

My best friend began suffering with an eating disorder almost three years ago now and over that time she has slowly kept getting worse. A few months ago she was admitted to a child psychiatric hospital and has still not improved much and she has to be fed some of her food through a tube.
It is extremely difficult to get through to her and to try and help her see what she is doing so she can start making herself better. I find it extremely difficult to know what to say to her as it's horrid to watch her go through this and I feel like there is nothing I can do to try and help. I was just wandering if you could give me any advice on what to say to her and how I could help or support her in any way?

Thank you.

Hi Amy,

I am so sorry you are going through this with your friend. You have every right to be concerned. Have you tried talking to her parents or a school counselor about your concerns?

In the meantime, I encourage you to check out these websites for tips for dealing with friends suffering from anorexia.

I hope you find these resources helpful. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions or do anything else to help.

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government