Anorexia/Eating Disorders/body image

Hello, I'm sorry to trouble you again. I'm not sure if you remember me you've answered a question of mibe before. Do you have any tips for improving body image? I'm 21 5 7 and I was 135 lbs when I got married now I'm about 147 and its driving me crazy, and its affecting my marrriage. I can't take my shirt off in front of my wife. Even you know, in bed. And it really bothers her. ( rightfully so I guess) any tios would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to lose weight to feel bettet but its a lot hatdet then when I lost weight in high school

Hi Charles,

Of course I remember you. I hope you are doing a little bit better, but it sounds like you are still struggling with your body image. I have a few ideas:

1) start a media ban - if you find yourself comparing your body to men in magazines or on TV, stop buying the magazines and watching TV. It's hard not to compare ourselves to the "ideal" image when it's constantly in our faces.
2) critically evaluate those media images when you do see them - like images of women, images of men are highly distorted and not realistic (watch this video to see exactly what they do to male images before they appear in magazines - it's pretty shocking:
3) pay attention to the way you think about yourself and talk about yourself - try to minimize negative self-talk and replace each negative statement with a positive one (even if you don't believe it at first)
4) focus on your accomplishments instead of your appearance - at the end of each day write down 5 things you accomplished that have nothing to do with weight or appearance or working out
5) if you play sports, focus on sports where appearance doesn't matter - sports that people of all shapes and sizes play
6) realize that not everything is under your control - genetics do play a role - if you are big boned, you'll never be skinny and if you are small boned, it may be harder to bulk up as your body can't physically handle as much muscle as someone with a larger frame

I hope that helps!

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government