You are here:

Anorexia/Eating Disorders/aid/scholarship/grant for morbid obesity treatment


My son has been in residential treatment for morbid obesity since 04/13/13.  He has lost an amazing 160 lbs.

We need to find funding to help him to remain in treatment, he has 150 lbs. to lose to be in a healthy range for his 17 years of age and height.  Beyond weight loss, he needs the psychological health components that only residential treatment provides.

He has been denied twice by the State of California Department of Rehabilitation.  Today I requested Mediation and/or Fair Hearing.

Are you aware of any individual aid, scholarships, or grants for the treatment of morbid obesity?  He is currently at Mind Stream Academy in South Carolina.

Thank you.

Hi Kathleen,

I am so sorry your family is going through this. I wish I had better news for you, but unfortunately, there is very little coverage out there for obesity - or any of the eating disorders for that matter. There are some grants for gastric bypass and occasionally the pharmaceutical industry will help pay for drugs, but if your insurance doesn't cover the residential treatment, there really aren't any options.

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck with everything!  

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mary Pritchard


I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.


I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

Awards and Honors
30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government

©2017 All rights reserved.