Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Insulin resistance and chewing and spitting

Question

Last year I suffered with chewing and spitting disorder as part of my anorexia, around the same time I gained a lot of weight without changing my calorie intake or exercise levels. I heard that chewing and spitting can cause insulin resistance and also that insulin resistance can cause significant weight gain.. I gained 2 and a half stone over 6 months for no real reason. The only change that happened around that time was that my period returned and the chewing and spitting. Could the insulin resistance potentially caused by my chewing and spitting be responsible?

Thanks,

Erin

Answer
Hi Erin,

I am so sorry you are going through this. In answer to your question, yes, it is possible. What is your current caloric intake? This condition may be reversible with a healthy diet and exercise, but not as long as you are suffering with an eating disorder.

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard