Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Is it possible that I may have anorexia?

I began to binge eat in 2013 but I never put on the weight, surprisingly. And since August this year, I have been purging by vomiting and using laxatives. And more recently, specifically 2 weeks ago, I have begun restricting my calorie intake, but I still eat (albeit I no longer binge). By this, I mean, I will eat nothing all day until the evening which is when I end up eating 500-1000 calories. I then proceed to purge.  I also exercise two hours a day, micromanage my calorie intake and weigh myself everyday.

But I realize I am eating/behaving abnormally, so is it still a possible eating disorder? Or am I just choosing to do this? Should I mention this to my therapist? I would like to, but I'm not even sure I want to stop restricting. I just want to stop bingeing.

Hi Lena,

Yes, you have an eating disorder. Admitting you have a problem is only half the battle. Please tell your therapist about this so that you can get help. I can also provide you with resources for both bulimia (binge/purge) and anorexia (caloric restriction) if you would like. It sounds like your battle with bulimia has taken a twist. Unfortunately, a combination of bulimia and anorexia is becoming more common. Please don't take this lightly. You need help.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Good luck!

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government