Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Is it possible that I may have anorexia?

Question
Hello,

I began to binge eat in 2013 but I never put on the weight, surprisingly. And since August this year, I have been purging by vomiting and using laxatives. And more recently, specifically 2 weeks ago, I have begun restricting my calorie intake, but I still eat (albeit I no longer binge). By this, I mean, I will eat nothing all day until the evening which is when I end up eating 500-1000 calories. I then proceed to purge.  I also exercise two hours a day, micromanage my calorie intake and weigh myself everyday.

But I realize I am eating/behaving abnormally, so is it still a possible eating disorder? Or am I just choosing to do this? Should I mention this to my therapist? I would like to, but I'm not even sure I want to stop restricting. I just want to stop bingeing.

Answer
Hi Lena,

Yes, you have an eating disorder. Admitting you have a problem is only half the battle. Please tell your therapist about this so that you can get help. I can also provide you with resources for both bulimia (binge/purge) and anorexia (caloric restriction) if you would like. It sounds like your battle with bulimia has taken a twist. Unfortunately, a combination of bulimia and anorexia is becoming more common. Please don't take this lightly. You need help.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Good luck!

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard