Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Repairng metabolism after annorexia

I've suffered with an eating disorder for 5 years and even though I recovered my eating to around 1500 calories a day and maintained for a long time on that last year I gained 2 and a half stone in 4 months for no reason - didn't increase food or decrease exercise. The weight gain stalled in December last year and since then I have been on 1200 calories a day to maintain. However, since September I've lost 10 pounds but some of that being muscle as I have had my blood checked and it showed I was losing muscle. How do I repair my metabolism and stop losing muscle?

The job of your metabolism is to store and expend your body's energy so you survive. If you have had an eating disorder, your body has thought for a long time that it needs to conserve energy through fat storage.  Even if you begin eating normally, your body is still wanting to hang on to the calories you do eat.  the rate at which your body moves food through your digestive system has also been affected.  You ant expect your body to return to a "normal" metabolic rate very quickly. It may take quite some time.  

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Ryan Hale

I can answer questions specifically geared towards athletes and their eating issues. I would be able to assist parents or coaches with questions or concerns about disordered eating practices often found in the exercise and sports settings. I also have experience in training and conditioning so I am in a position to discus how the two interrelate.

I have a bachelor's degree in sports medicine and master's degrees in sport psychology and clinical counseling. I have done counseling with individuals, couples, and families, with specialization in athletes. Past clients have included triathletes, dancers, college cyclists, and Pro Tour cyclists.

National Athletic Trainer's Assoc. American Counseling Assoc

bachelor's degree sports medicine master's degree sport psychology master's degree clinical counseling Nationally Certified Athletic Trainer with NATABOC Nationally Certified Counselor with NBCC Colorado Registered Psychotherapist

U.S. national team level female athletes High school athletes Semi-pro soccer Pro Tour cyclists Triathletes Dancers