Anorexia/Eating Disorders/hi

What are the health consequences of bulimia?

Hi Iama,

Bulimia can cause:

1) Electrolyte imbalances that can lead to irregular heartbeats and possibly heart failure and death.  Electrolyte imbalance is caused by dehydration and loss of potassium, sodium and chloride from the body as a result of purging behaviors.
2) Potential for gastric rupture during periods of bingeing.
3) Inflammation and possible rupture of the esophagus from frequent vomiting.
4) Tooth decay and staining from stomach acids released during frequent vomiting.
5) Chronic irregular bowel movements and constipation as a result of laxative abuse or malnutrition.
6) Peptic ulcers and pancreatitis.

If you need resources for treatment, please let me know. Bulimia is a very serious issue with a relatively high mortality rate due to the damage it does to your heart.  

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government