Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Anorexia on my period

Question
I lost too much weight in half a year so my period stopped(because of hormonal unbalance) for more than half a year, then I went to see a doctor, she gave me hormonal meds, then my period started again for ONCE only and stopped again now. The doctor said I need to gain weight but I fail to gain weight in the past few months... so I guess this is the reason why my period stopped again?
Do you think my period can come back if I try hard to eat a bit more everytime? And how much weight should I gain?(155cm, 84lbs)
Are there any other advice to help my period to come back soon? I'm worried... thanks!

Answer
HI Rachel,

Your period is a function of your hormone levels. Reproductive hormones are synthesized by body fat. At your weight, you simply do not have enough body fat to have a period because your estrogen and progesterone levels are too low. You will likely need to gain at least 10 pounds - maybe 20 - to get your periods back.

I would be happy to give you a nutrition plan to achieve this goal or you can work with your doctor.

Please let me know if you need anything else. Good luck!

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard