Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Anorexia on my period


I lost too much weight in half a year so my period stopped(because of hormonal unbalance) for more than half a year, then I went to see a doctor, she gave me hormonal meds, then my period started again for ONCE only and stopped again now. The doctor said I need to gain weight but I fail to gain weight in the past few months... so I guess this is the reason why my period stopped again?
Do you think my period can come back if I try hard to eat a bit more everytime? And how much weight should I gain?(155cm, 84lbs)
Are there any other advice to help my period to come back soon? I'm worried... thanks!

HI Rachel,

Your period is a function of your hormone levels. Reproductive hormones are synthesized by body fat. At your weight, you simply do not have enough body fat to have a period because your estrogen and progesterone levels are too low. You will likely need to gain at least 10 pounds - maybe 20 - to get your periods back.

I would be happy to give you a nutrition plan to achieve this goal or you can work with your doctor.

Please let me know if you need anything else. Good luck!

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mary Pritchard


I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.


I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

Awards and Honors
30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government

©2017 All rights reserved.