Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Fasting

Question
Hey there, so I have a question about fasting. I fasted for 3 days awhile back and started to develop a rash thingy on my chest, neck and torso. So I ate again. Then I tried a week long fast and again stopped after I got the rash. It only seemed to go away after I ate "normal"(~700cal) for a few days. Then I restricted to <150 Net cal for about a week. Same thing. So then I ate again. What could cause this? When I eat my norm about 400 I'm fine. Why is this? Also when I fast after about 2 days I don't even get hungry anymore, I also get more tired and fatigued but nothing an energy drink can't fix. Why does this happen, aside from the obvious? Thank you :)

Answer
Hi Hazel,

I'll answer your questions as best I can.

1) What could cause this rash?

The short answer is that 80% of your immune system is located in your gut. When you don't eat enough, your body's immune system goes haywire and you're more likely to get sick, get weird rashes, etc.

2) Also when I fast after about 2 days I don't even get hungry anymore, I also get more tired and fatigued but nothing an energy drink can't fix. Why does this happen, aside from the obvious?

Your body is hungry, you've just gotten really good at repressing your body's hunger signals. That and after two days of fasting, your metabolism is slowing down. The energy drink isn't 'fixing' anything. It's just caffeine making you feel better temporarily. This is not a viable long-term solution, however...

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard