Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Weight and food

I am four years into recovery from an eating disorder.  I struggled from fifteen to thirty.  I was in and out of hospitals constantly. I recently went to doctor to see my weight go up 8 pounds in one month and I have not changed anything.  Calories still the same exercise still the same.  My question is how can I raise my calories without putting on weight? Why did I gain weight while not increasing calories? Can my metabolism be messed up for being so bad to it for 20 years? This is confusing me greatly.  I appreciate your help.

Hi Bobbie!

I am so sorry you are going through this. Recovering from an eating disorder can be trying, to say the least.

In answer to your question, yes, your metabolism is going to be slow due to the caloric restriction. Your metabolism can slow by up to 45% when you restrict calories. Thus, when you start eating normally, you will gain weight. However, it won't be forever. Your metabolism will eventually stabilize around your new caloric intake.

That being said, it sounds like you were already eating more calories and hadn't gained any weight until now. How long have you been eating normally before you noticed any weight gain? If it came on suddenly after a period of having no problems, there may be something else messing with your metabolic rate. Have you had your thyroid levels checked lately? If not, you may want to see your doctor about this.

Please let me know if you need any further information or clarifications. Good luck!

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government