Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Extreme hunger

Hi I'm female, 5'8, and I'm recovering from anorexia, my stomach has been hurting and I didn't want to believe it was hunger after a meal because, well, I thought I had just ate why would I be hungry? I think I'm experiencing extreme hunger, it usually hapens on days where my eating schedule is interupted, I had breakfast at Dennie's, trail mix snack, lunch, and buffalo wings with waffle fries for dinner, then my stomach hurt more so I had crunch n munch, banana muffins mini (4) pack, a leftover chicken wing, fruit snacks, cheeze it's, rice Krispy treat. Is this normal to be doing during recovery?

Hi Jordan,

I am so sorry you are going through this. Yes, this normal. There may be two things going on here: 1) your body is relearning what hunger feels like, and 2) your body is getting used to eating foods it hasn't had in a while and your stomach is upset. If you suspect it's the latter, I recommend taking digestive enzymes when you eat. You could also try eating fewer processed foods and more natural foods. I can help you with a meal plan if you'd like. As best you can during this time, try to eat several small meals a day (aim to eat every 2 to 3 hours). Eat each time until you are comfortably full and try to focus on getting a balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fats.

Please let me know if you need a meal plan or anything else. Good luck!

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government