Anorexia/Eating Disorders/eating disorderd

I cannot believe the advise you are giving.To tell an anorexic to avoid foods and exercise is irresponsible.You obviously have no training in this field.The information you are dispensing is dangerous.

Dear Jaclyn,

I do not recall where I might have told someone to avoid certain foods unless they happen to have hyperglycemia and they have a sensitivity to sugar.

Yes, I do tell some people not to exercise if they have severe medical problems as a result of an eating disorder or if they are anorexic and have very low weight or if they're addicted to exercise.

I have 30+ years of experience in the field of eating disorders and have a PhD in clinical psychology.

Jeanne Rust, PhD
Mirasol Recovery Centers

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD

I have been treating eating disorders for over 25 years and I have a doctorate in clinical psychology. I am an expert in anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorders and in co-occurring disorders as well -- depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, etc. I was the official eating disorder therapist for the University of Arizona athletic department and love working with girls and women of all ages! 12 years ago I started my own treatment centers in Arizona where we treat adolescents and adults. I love working with people and have been helping people online since 1994. My hearts go out to the people out there who are unable to find help, who aren't sure whether they need help, and who don't have much of an understanding of the terrible consequences, emotionally and physically, that go hand in hand with the eating disorder. I view eating disorders as coping mechanisms that people use when they are under stress. I believe that eating disorders most times have many similarities whether it is anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating. The good news is that people can heal from an eating disorder and learn to create the lives they would like to live.

I have 25 years of experience in treating eating disorders of all kinds. I also do consultations for people who are starting treatment centers.

Northwestern University -- BA Masters in Counseling Doctorate in Clinical Psychology -- Saybrook institute