Anorexia/Eating Disorders/afraid

Question
Hello,i hope your doing well. I've had Purging and heavy restricting issues for the past few years, i've been seeing a therapist for the past few months and have made a lot of progress with purging because I've been getting chest pains but i still heavily restrict.She told me today that it's time that we come up with a meal plan and i stop exercising and tell a doctor about my behavior (I have not seen a doctor yet) or there will be no point continuing.i weigh 135 lbs (im a 5'7 23 year old male) and i feel very fat all the timr don't think i can do this and i'm afraid she will stop our sessions if i don't, and i don't think lying to her makes sense either. Do u have anyadvice?

Answer
jeanne.jpg
jeanne.jpg  
Dear Steve,

I'm so glad that you wrote!  It sounds to me as if you are suffering from anorexia nervosa!  The chest pains are very scary and heart attacks are something that people with eating disorders frequently die from.  I don't want to scare you but your therapist is absolutely correct!  By the way, a lot of exercise is a form of bulimia -- you're just not purging but burning off calories to lose weight.

Please make an appointment to see your doctor, tell him what's going on, and let him do some blood work and an EKG.  ASAP.  Let's get your heart checked out.  I think you're much too young to die or have a heart attack!  Read about bulimia and anorexia nervosa at www.mirasol.net under the learning center.

I'm so glad you're not going to lie to your therapist.  She is afraid that if something does happen to you, that she'll be liable -- she's nervous as well about your physical condition.  I would do exactly the same thing as she's doing.  I want to help and protect my clients as much as I can.  It sounds as if she's feeling the same way!

Please let me know when you have an appointment with your doctor!

Warmly,
Jeanne Rust, PhD
CEO/Founder
www.mirasol.net

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD