Anorexia/Eating Disorders/anorexia recovery fat vs muscle gaining

i'm a 17 years old girl; i had anorexia since i was 15; i started at a weight of 53 kg (154 cm ) until my weight dropped to 39.5 kg . my periods
stopped so my doctor told me to gain weight. now i'm totally ok with seeing  those numbers rise on the scale but now i'm 44 kg and all flabby; my period didn't come back yet so i was wondering : if i weight 49 kg _like my doctor said- will if be all fat (flabby) or is there a way to gain muscle instead of fat ; my body fat percentage is 24.9 and that worries me a lot! also i'm wondering how much should i eat because in those other sites they said it should be around 2500 but what if i eat it and my body fat percentage stays that high or even higher.
thank you for your time and i hope you answer as quick as possible

Dear Hanane,

The facts are that you have anorexia nervosa.  I'm so glad you went to the doctor!  I'm also happy that you've been able to gain the weight.  That's so hard to do!  Your period should come back shortly.  If not, return to your doctor and he can give you something to start your periods.

To recover from Anorexia and any eating disorder it is necessary to heal the body just as you're doing and it is necessary to work on your psychological issues.  Everyone who has an eating disorder has an illness of the mind and the body.  The good news is that you can become completely well.  See if you can find someone who specializes in eating disorders to help you.  Try going to for a list of people that treat eating disorders.

You can start doing some light exercise with weights.  No running, please!  You can begin to get fit again by doing some work with weights and perhaps yoga.

Please let me know how you are and don't hesitate to ask me more questions!

Jeanne Rust, PhD

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD

I have been treating eating disorders for over 25 years and I have a doctorate in clinical psychology. I am an expert in anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorders and in co-occurring disorders as well -- depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, etc. I was the official eating disorder therapist for the University of Arizona athletic department and love working with girls and women of all ages! 12 years ago I started my own treatment centers in Arizona where we treat adolescents and adults. I love working with people and have been helping people online since 1994. My hearts go out to the people out there who are unable to find help, who aren't sure whether they need help, and who don't have much of an understanding of the terrible consequences, emotionally and physically, that go hand in hand with the eating disorder. I view eating disorders as coping mechanisms that people use when they are under stress. I believe that eating disorders most times have many similarities whether it is anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating. The good news is that people can heal from an eating disorder and learn to create the lives they would like to live.

I have 25 years of experience in treating eating disorders of all kinds. I also do consultations for people who are starting treatment centers.

Northwestern University -- BA Masters in Counseling Doctorate in Clinical Psychology -- Saybrook institute