Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Swollen face after recovery?

Question
I'm a 20 year old female who has been weight restored from orthorexia/anorexia for over 2 months. I went through a period of binge-eating during my recovery, which caused my face to go from gaunt and slim to incredibly swollen and puffy. Despite resuming normal eating patterns, this puffiness has not subsided, and I seem to have permanent hollow bags under my eyes. My face looks fat and completely different from my pre-eating-disorder self. I understand that this facial swelling is common in people with bulimia, but I have never purged, even when I was bingeing. I was wondering if you have seen this in other recovered anorexic patients before, and if I can ever expect my face to return to normal? This is very distressing for me and I'd greatly appreciate a response. Thank you.

Answer
Dear Jackie,

I've seen a little bit of everything during the years I've helped young women.  A swollen face is not at all unusual.  Your face will eventually go back to its normal size -- it's all about fluids and where they choose to settle.  This is the time that separates the "men from the boys."  Don't look at yourself or at least not at length  -- but hang on and keep on with your meal plan.

How are you doing?

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD