Anorexia/Eating Disorders/Eating disorder

Question
I think I might have a binge-eating disorder but I'm not sure, what are the signs and symptoms?

Answer
Hi Sophia,

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles.

The current Diagnostic Criteria for Binge Eating Disorder include:

Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterized by both of the following:
1. Eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than most individuals would eat during a similar period of time under similar circumstances.
2. A sense of lack of control over eating during the episode, (e.g., a feeling that one cannot stop eating or control what or how much one is eating).

The binge-eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:
1. Eating much more rapidly than normal
2. Eating until feeling uncomfortably full
3. Eating large amounts of food when not physically hungry.
4. Eating alone because of feeling embarrassed by how much one is eating.
5. Feeling disgusted with oneself, depressed, or very guilty afterward

To be diagnosed, the binge eating must occur, on average, at least once a week for 3 months. It also cannot be associated with the recurrent use of inappropriate compensatory behavior as in bulimia nervosa and does not occur exclusively during the course of bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa.

I hope that answers your question. Regardless of whether you meet all the criteria listed above, I urge you to seek help. PsychologyToday.com lists therapists by specialty so you can find someone who specializes in eating disorders near where you live.

Anorexia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard