Anthropology/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
sexuality10/1/2016Ralph Salier
  Q: Why do many cultures have a tabboo against premarital sex?
  A: That depends on the prevailing religious basis of the culture. There are some cultures where ...
query societies8/4/2016Ralph Salier
  Q: Good day There is so much wrong in the world today and maybe it was the same 100's of years ago. One ...
  A: Anger,hate,fear,jealousy, love, joy, passion, kindness are two sides of the same coin. We humans ...
anthropology7/22/2016Ralph Salier
  Q: How would you after doing all your anthropological studies answer thishow personal should one be in ...
  A: That depends on the culture. in American business culture (which is also quite variable) a level ...
humans7/21/2016Ralph Salier
  Q: Did human lives change much between 1000 BC and the year Christ was born? When was the first time ...
  A: That depends in what part of the world you are speaking about. The Egypian empire was growing and ...
question6/11/2016Ralph Salier
  Q: Good day Among countries we tend to see some on an upward trend and others on a downward trend ...
  A: Economic factors are a key marker for the social conditions of a country. IF the country is doing ...
Athropology2/21/2016Ralph Salier
  Q: 1.Why was life span longer in the beginning of human species, shorter in the Middle Ages,seems to be ...
  A: I don't think that life spans were all that long in prehistory. There may have been some ...
doubtful African custom reported2/20/2016Ralph Salier
  Q: Reading "Being Mortal" by Atul Gawande, an otherwise excellent book, I came across a report without ...
  A: This may be true for some of the more nomadic hunter/gatherers like the Bushmen of the Kalahari. ...
How come in many communitarian tribalist "backwards" cultures they chant songs of praises when someone sacrifices his life rather than weep?2/12/2016Ralph Salier
  Q: Years ago I remember reading about how after a Palestinian young man got into a firefight with ...
  A: This is a very complicated question. You have pointed out that in many different cultures there is ...
stateless society1/6/2016Ralph Salier
  Q: Are tribes and clans examples of stateless societies?
  A: That depends. In North America, the Native American tribes that have autonomous independence, are ...
anthropology10/17/2015Ralph Salier
  Q: 1.) According to your text, the genus Australopithecus has several identified species which are ...
  A: I generally do no do homework for folks. Also I apologize for getting back later then normal, I was ...
group identity10/3/2015Ralph Salier
  Q: What are the various factors that contribute the construction of group identity? or what are the ...
  A: These are two very different questions and both contain a great deal of complexity. Group ...
Mentality of nomads5/14/2015Ralph Salier
  Q: Please tell me, what good sources are on the net about the mentality of the nomad vs the mentality ...
  A: The Roma people, an honor society and very tribal, prefer a way of life of a nomad. There are ...
honor system5/14/2015Ralph Salier
  Q: sir, I would like you to point me towards resources related to reasons for the existence of honor ...
  A: There are a number of "Honor" based societies. These are societies which are patriarchal in nature ...
Human Super-Powers5/9/2015Ralph Salier
  Q: Is there something like a human super-power? Does something like that exists and how does it works? ...
  A: The basic answer is no. However there are individuals that have remarkable gifts. They may for ...
anthropology3/10/2015Ralph Salier
  Q: Anthropologists sometimes do field studies. They go into the type of culture they want to ...
  A: Field studies come in many forms and types. For instance an ethnographer may attempt to study an ...
Culrtural realtivism9/19/2014Ralph Salier
  Q: whats a good way to describe how cultural relativism and race can influence someones perception of ...
  A: Tigest, Cultural relativisim is a view that each culture is unique and its moral and ethical ...
anthropology9/15/2014Ralph Salier
  Q: How can anthropology help us today?
  A: Anthropology is the study of mankind. It is the "umbrella" study that includes economics, ...
bones in water8/5/2014Ralph Salier
  Q: My name is Darci. I have a question. I would like to know how long would a bone take to decompose in ...
  A: There are a lot of factors involved. 1). Were his remains embalmed 2) what is the pH of the water ...
crime and ethnic homogeneity3/6/2014Ralph Salier
  Q: Why does crime tend to be rare in homogeneous countries such as Iceland and Japan?
  A: crimes still occur. However the severity of the crime is mitigated by the fact that there are very ...
eng+human development2/28/2014Ralph Salier
  Q: now I m like and too clever on engineering abstract science mathematics - physics - mechanics in ...
  A: You ask a very difficult question. Have you considered the field of Artificial intellengence or ...
International Expert Interview2/9/2014Ralph Salier
  Q: A pleasant day!Sorry to bother you but this won’t take too much of your time. I'm a student doing an ...
  A: 1. I do not believe that environment makes a criminal but could shape one if part of the ...
ancient hominids2/8/2014John Shea
  Q: please don't think I'm crazy by asking this... I think this is a real scientific question that ...
  A: There are some people who believe Bigfoot and similar creatures do not exist. Most scientists, ...
Body Hair & Black People1/21/2014Ralph Salier
  Q: My question is an interesting one. In the Fall 2013 season of the show "Biggest Loser" former ...
  A: All humans have hair, some more that others. Hair is an adaptive feature. In some environments it ...
Solutrean hypothesis Vr. Bering Strait9/23/2013John Shea
  Q: The Solutrean hypothesis VR.The Bering Strait theory, I wanted to know more about these and your ...
  A: The overwhelming majority of linguistic, genetic, paleontological and archaeological evidence point ...
Social Stratification in the 21st Century9/19/2013Ralph Salier
  Q: Social scientists believe that stratification is necessary in complex societies because it creates a ...
  A: This is an excellent question. The easy answer is yes. However, in todays' world, we are ...
paleolithic or neolithic?8/7/2013John Shea
  Q: First of all thanks for answering my question about religion. I was actually having a fight with my ...
  A: The two studies are not contradictory. There is very little difference between Cro-Magnon (early ...
What is religion?8/3/2013John Shea
  Q: I try to explain my religion to people, but I occasionally doubt that it's a religion at all. I ...
  A: Anthropologists define religion as a formal set of supernatural beliefs about reality shared by a ...
Acting / role playing7/6/2013Ralph Salier
  Q: does anthropology ever look into human behaviour in terms of the roles people might take on in ...
  A: "Role Play" has been part of human cultures for as long as we have been around. In some cases, the ...
out-of-africa?6/26/2013John Shea
  Q: If the out-of-Africa theory is correct and modern humans left Africa where do divergent human ...
  A: The presence of Neandertal DNA among living humans is usually ascribed to interbreeding between Homo ...
Linguistic anthropology6/19/2013Ralph Salier
  Q: I am doing a project in words that are not translatable, and why they are present in some cultures ...
  A: As languages evolve words come and out of use. Which is why we have old English, middle English and ...
Evolution and Race6/16/2013John Shea
  Q: Do you believe the races have equal intellectual capacity? If so, what would lead you to conclude ...
  A: Beth Everything in my experience as a professional anthropologist for the last 30 years suggests ...
authoritarian attitudes in history5/25/2013John Shea
  Q: Addressing only specific circumstances: Mr. Jones gave the best part of his catch of the day to his ...
  A: , This is a tricky one to answer because we cannot know the answer to this issue (biased vs. ...
Evolution5/4/2013John Shea
  Q: I often read about the discoveries of fossils of the different species of early man, but have there ...
  A: DNA variation among living apes, humans suggests the last common ancestors of apes and humans lived ...
how did they figure4/26/2013Ralph Salier
  Q: In the times of Stonehenge,and other ancient structures, based on a calendar. Also sense there is ...
  A: You are essentially correct. The difference is so small, it is hardly noticeable. For Stonehenge. ...
what kind of information do you have about biblical anthropology?4/26/2013John Shea
  Q: many evangelical Christians claim that four fields of anthropology (biological anthropology, ...
  A: All of these claims are demonstrably false, and have been proven false to the satisfaction of ...
Query on Race4/18/2013Ralph Salier
  Q: Good day I was reading that DNA evidence proves that most people as diverse as they may be are more ...
  A: Mahabir, There were a number of societies where the color of the skin was a non-issue. The Ancient ...
Question on Concept of Race4/18/2013John Shea
  A: Follow this link for a short paper I wrote about this. ...
cultural divergence4/17/2013John Shea
  Q: I'm writing a fantasy novel and in the story the three main nations originally come from one culture ...
  A: This is plenty of time for such cultural divergence to occur, all the more so if the collapse ...
Student4/13/2013Ralph Salier
  Q: I'm currently a General Studies student, but have enrolled into a Bachelor of Arts program for next ...
  A: The question I have for you is what are your expectations? Anthropology is the study of man. There ...
Carvings , hollograms and images That I have found on my artifacts4/7/2013Ralph Salier
  Q: I have discovered a way to photograph my artifacts , then I darken the picture until ancient images ...
  A: Interesting, Can you send me a series of pics from full light to when the image appears and what ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Anthropology

Ralph Salier

Top Expert on this page