Anthropology/Question on Concept of Race

Question
Good day
I was reading that DNA evidence proves that most people as diverse as they may be are more than 99% genetically the same.
With reference to race, I was wondering, how did the concept of race come about. Were there any civilizations in history where race was non existent and people were not classed by race.

Answer
Dear Mahabir,
Follow this link for a short paper I wrote about this.
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/is-race-real
In a nutshell, race is a recently developed concept.  Most ancient civilizations noticed some differences in how people in different regions looked, but the idea that these races were hierarchical and that they reflected combinations of originally "pure" races is a very recent one.
Cheers,
John Shea

Anthropology

John Shea