Antique Advertising Items/Mantel Rocking Horse

Question
horse
horse  
horse
horse  
QUESTION: Please advise how much this horse is worth. It has a leather saddle and is in good condition. The tail is horse hair.

ANSWER: Hi Cynthia,

From the pictures attached, it's difficult to tell whether this is a really old item or a newer production made to look old.  From your description it seems like it should be authentic if it has a real horsehair tail and leather saddle. It's also difficult to tell the size of it, but if it's large enough that it was actually designed as a children's toy, then you may have an item worth a couple hundred dollars in that condition. If it's smaller and was made just as a decorative piece, or if it's not really old, then the value should be closer to $35-60.

If you'd like to follow up, then just contact me at AdvertisingAntiques.com.

Thanks

QUESTION: Thank you so much for responding. I have the horse setting on the mantel of my fireplace, The base is 2ft across and stands 17 inches (not very good with measuring tape). I send another picture. Just let me know what to stand it next to so that you can have an idea of it's correct size.

Answer
Hi Cynthia,

From the measurements you gave it sounds like it could have been designed as a real toy, which would be good for the value. I'd recommend you take it to a local antiques dealer to confirm with someone who can see it in person and really examine it.

Thanks,
Dale Fenton

Antique Advertising Items

Dale Fenton