Antique Advertising Items/texaco sign

Question
texaco sign
texaco sign  
QUESTION: I'm restoring a tokhiem gas pump, the original sign on the. Front door has some deep scrAtches and some chips on it, Now should I try to restore it or would  that hurt value.the sign is dated March 2 1958 diesel fuel 2, green . Also should the sign sold with or without the pump. I've only seen two , prices on them were too far apart.

ANSWER: Hi Adam,

Whatever you're doing with the pump, the pump plate itself should be seen as a separate item since it can be taken off the pump and replaced or sold separately. Restoring a plate like that probably wouldn't be worth the money to do it, these plates are hard to find but not impossible and usually sell for $250-500 depending on condition and the seller.

When you say restore I'm not sure what you mean exactly, are you just going to try and use touch up paints or are you going to employ someone to try and do a porcelain restoration?

Thanks
Dale Fenton
AdvertisingAntiques.com

QUESTION: Honestly I was going to attempt it my self, touch it up.

Thanks Adam

Answer
Hi Adam,

I strongly recommend that people do not try and do touchups to signs as typically it is a net loss of value. If you'd prefer a better looking one you're usually better off keeping an eye on ebay or auctions and trying to purchase a better one. That can take a while but you're generally better off over the long term.

Thanks
Dale Fenton

Antique Advertising Items

Dale Fenton