Antique Advertising Items/crock jug

QUESTION: We just found a Mobiloil crock jug (light colored crock) says product of a SOCONY-VACUUM oil co. Do you have any information on this?

ANSWER: Hi there,

Could you send along some pictures of the crock so I can see exactly what you have?

QUESTION: Here's some pictures! Thanks!

Hi David,

I actually have never seen a Mobiloil crock like this with the full color shield and pegasus. It looks quite nice so I'm suspicious that it may be a fantasy item, though typically reproduced and fantasy items become quite common very quickly. If it's indeed an authentic item which I can't say 100% from these pictures then I'd expect the value to come in around $150-300.

Antique Advertising Items

Dale Fenton

I can answer your questions about the history of many popular antique advertising brands such as Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Tobacco Brands, Petroliana (Gas, Oil, and Automotive Items), Breweriana (Beer and Brewing Items), Barbershop Items, as well as other areas. I can also help with determining approximate values of your items. I know how to identify fakes, reproductions, and fantasy items for Antique Advertising items such as tins, posters, signs, displays, trays, mugs, clocks, and much more. Even with my experience I don't know everything, but if I'm stumped I can usually refer you to someone who does know about whatever it is.

I am a full time dealer working in Antique Advertising every day. I run the website which I built and maintain. I attend many shows, auctions, and other events related to Advertising Antiques and I know many other dealers and collectors interested in these items.

I have my BA in Architecture from Clemson University, my Master's of Architecture from Texas A&M. As far as education related to Advertising, I have an extensive library of books and literature related to these items and the many smaller collecting areas within it. I keep up with the published articles and information published by the AAAA.