Antique Clocks/Abel Cottey

Sarge wrote at 2014-01-04 02:05:59
I believe the ancestor Abel Cottey that you speak of that was born in 1690 is actually Abel Cottey, Jr. the son of Abel Cottey who lived from March 29,1655 to June 30, 1711.

Abel Cottey, Sr was the first Quaker clockmaker who is known for building the first clock in America.

Yes, the Chandlee's did take over the Cottey family business of making clocks. Benjamin Chandlee,Sr. (the second Quaker clockmaker) was the apprentice to Abel Cottey, Sr. of the New England Clock Company. On March 25, 1710 Benjamin Chandlee, Sr. became Abel Cottey, Sr's son-in-law when he married Sarah Cottey.

Antique Clocks

Steve Skibicki

I have experience in all phases and types of clock repair. My shop specializes in the repair of cuckoo clocks both modern and antique. We rebuild movements instead of replacing. Keep your clock original inside and out Please visit my website at

Twenty four years as a full time repairman and restorer

Clockmakers Newsletter

School of Clock Repair and Restoration