Antique Clocks/How to put chains back on an antique grandfather clock that has pulleys

Hello, I have just purchased an antique English grandfather clock that came without it's chains. It looks to have two pulleys that have wrapped "cat gut" with hooks at the bottom for where the chains would be attached. It is a 30 day movement with a little window for the date. I have purchased new clock chain, but have no idea as to how long they should be or how they work with the pulleys, hope you can help. Thanks, Barb

There are a lot of mixed comments with your question. Pulleys are on chains with 30 hour movements, cat gut is generally used on 8 day or month movements. One section of the cat gut should be in the barrel on a clock with cat gut, the other goes through a hole on the seaboard and then tied up. The pulley needs putting on before the cat gut is put through the hole on seaboard, assuming this is where it has become detached from. Send me a picture to and I will help further if need be. The person you bought it off should be where you go to first though.

Antique Clocks

Daniel Clements

All questions about pre C1820 UK antique clocks. For the type of clock I can answer questions about, see if your clock is something like one on our website http://

I run a large family UK antique clocks business

We offer a full in house money back guarantee that all our antiques are genuine

Sunday Times Business Section and othe press

All my life working in , restoring and selling genuine antique clocks from the 17th 18th and 19th centuries

My father was the clocks consultant up to 1984 of millers antiques price guide. I have appeared on tv and in national newspapers

Many V.I.P clients from UK and overseas