Antique Clocks/Chime Adjustment

Steve  -  When I retired seven years ago I found a hobby building clocks.  I use the Hermle 461-850 movement.  On my latest clock I believe I didn't position the face (also custom made) to the movement exactly right. Now, when the time is exactly quarter after, the chime is about 12 seconds later. Of course all four chimes are also twelve seconds late.  Repositioning the face is out of the question because the winding arbors would not line up.  Is there a way to adjust the chimes?

Repositioning the dial is not the answer.
The minute hand has a brass bushing that can be turned to align the hand to the correct minute mark. I use a square tapered awl , it fits in to the bushing and holding the hand firm in one hand turn the bushing with the other.Pliers work well also.

Antique Clocks

Steve Skibicki

I have experience in all phases and types of clock repair. My shop specializes in the repair of cuckoo clocks both modern and antique. We rebuild movements instead of replacing. Keep your clock original inside and out Please visit my website at

Twenty four years as a full time repairman and restorer

Clockmakers Newsletter

School of Clock Repair and Restoration