Antique Clocks/Gilbert clock mechanism

gilbert mantel clock
gilbert mantel clock  
A dear friend asked me if I could restore an antique mantel clock (Gilbert).  It is very much like the mantel clock you had a quetion about its accuracy and chiming issues.  I can send you a picture of the clock if necessary.  I would like to replace the entire mechanism but don't know what to order as far as a model or type or from whom.  Can you give me some advice on where to start this process?

I personally prefer to repair the existing unit rather than replace it. Merritt's (Merritt' They have a number of new movements for sale. They have both chime and strike and Westminster chime and strike. They have both spring and battery powered movements. On page 44of their online catalog, is an American style brass movement. They are priced at $59.50 each for the movement only. For an extra $10. They will include the pendulum, hands, key, gong and gong base. They have four clock styles available for different case styles.  

If you replace the movement I would suggest keeping the old one for possible repair at a later date or for possible use as a parts clock.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family