Antique Clocks/Attaching a Pendulum

We are trying to figure out how to attach the pendulum to a Volta Grandfather Clock that belonged to my husbands grandmother.  We just received it from his aunt and she had removed the pendulum and the weights for it to be transported.  We have been able to put the weights back on but can not figure out how the bar that holds the pendulum attaches to the clock.  Thank you for your assistance with this as we can't wait to get it working so we can listen to the chime.

Hermle suspension
Hermle suspension  
The attached image shows the suspension arrangement for a Hermle movement. Yours may vary slightly in appearance but the general nomenclature will be the same. If the suspension spring is bent or broken it must be replaced. Hang the pendulum from the bottom of the pendulum hanger or leader then follow the instructions here to make sure it is in beat-
If the clock fails to stay running after setting the beat the movement probably needs to be serviced. Clocks of this type should be professionally cleaned & overhauled every 10-12 years to keep them in good running condition.

Antique Clocks

Steve Guthrie C.C.

A.W.C.I. Certified Clockmaker with 35 years of experience. I can answer clock repair or maintenance related questions. Please don't expect answers advising the use of bubble gum, bailing wire or WD-40. I only give advice that is meant to preserve your clock in the best possible condition, not make it worse. No questions regarding clock value or identification. I am not a collector and cannot do valuations. Visit my website at:

Clock repairman in the north Texas area for 35 years. Certification as a Clockmaker through the AWCI since 1986.

I was featured in an article by the Watch&Clock Review regarding my restoration of a tower clock for the Wise County courthouse in Decatur, Tx.

Certification as a clockmaker with the American Watchmakers/Clockmakers Institute since 1986.

General public,Six Flags Over Texas,Collin County,Tx.,Wise County,Tx.,Rapides Bank,Rapides Parrish,La.