Antique Clocks/Some help needed please

Question

I have an old wall clock that I do not know the name,make or age. It was recently sent to be serviced as it had not been used for a long time. I have know hung it on the wall but the clock goes too fast. I have lowered the bob all the way down and it still runs fast. I have also adjusted the beat and that sounds fine. The clock is plumb and level on the wall and the hands or pendulum do not foul anywhere on anything. Any ideas why it might be happening. I believe that the pendeulum is the the original and has not been changed for another.

The clock has two weights and no holes for any keys. I guess to wind it I pull the chain for the weights until they are near the top?

Also it has pull cord coming out the side. I cannot see what it is connected to. Could you tell me what it does?

Thanks very much for your time,
Paul

Answer
since you adjusted the beat, I assume the escape wheel is not double beating. If the clock is double beating occasionally the amount of gain will not be consistent. If it is operating properly the amount of gain will be constant, that is the same amount per hour over a 2 or 3 day period.

I recently repaired a clock where there was a wire extension on the pendulum rod. Neither myself or the owner knew the history of the clock as it was a inheritance. It seemed to do quite well as far as keeping time was concerned.  I am certain if I had removed the wire and hung the pendulum directly on the rod it would have gained time. I believe you are going to have to do the same thing - possibly using a paper clip as a source of this wire.

Weight driven clocks using chain are wound by pulling the non weight side of the chain. I prefer to lift the weight and/or the chain on the weight side of the sprocket while pulling the slack side on 8 day movements as these weights are very heavy and the clock can easily be pulled out of plumb.

Since this is an older clock, I assume the chime is not automatically synchronized. The purpose of the pull cord is to allow you to coordinate the chime with the hands. These clocks chime the sequence each actuation causing it to chime one more time per chime cycle. Of course, after it has chimed 12 o'clock it will chime 1 o'clock on the next cycle. some of these clocks use the chime mechanism to sound the half hour point also further complicating the setting up of the chime sequence. Once you have these clocks set up correctly, it is best to turn the hands clockwise only and wait each time it chimes for the entire chime sequence to be completed. For a large change in the negative direction such as going from daylight savings time to standard time, it is best to simply stop the clock for one hour and then start it and reset it to the exact time.

Again, beat rate is determined by pendulum length only. The weight of the pendulum has very little to do with the beat rate, of course, as the diameter of the pendulum is increased the effective length and moment of inertia are increased making the clock run slower.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams