Antique Clocks/Seth Thomas 124 Mantel Clock

QUESTION: I just purchased a very nice Seth Thomas Mantel clock with a 124 westminster chime movement. Everything works/chimes great except - each time it chimes on the top of the hour, it plays the 16 notes sequence BUT then only chimes ONE time for the hour. I can advance it to the next hour and it will still only chime ONCE for the hour chime (instead of multiple times for the hour, based upon the current hour). How can I get this movement to chime more than once for the hour chime ?
Thanks, William -

ANSWER: If you observe the strike action on the front of the movement you will probably see the gathering cam (red arrow) come to a stop at the end of the strike with the pin still engaging the hour rack. Rotate the cam counter clockwise ONLY until the pin no longer engages the teeth of the rack. Do not force it, if it seems too tight on the arbor, it will have to be removed then put back on in the proper position otherwise the arbor could break. Most I've seen can be turned with little resistance. Test to make sure it allows the rack to drop near the end of the hour chime then replace the movement in the case.

QUESTION: If I could ask a follow up question:
The movement chimes perfectly on the hour, the correct number of times. I did notice, though, last night that it only chimes 9 times on the 12th hour. All of the other hours chime the correct number of times except for the 12th hour, which consistently chimes 9 times. Is this problem something that I can remedy ?

Remove the pin & washer on the intermediate wheel (A). Remove the hour pipe & snail (B) and replace so the rack will drop to the 12 step at 12. Right now, it's catching the rise to the 1:00 step. Verify it drops on the 1:00 step at the next hour and you should be good to reassemble.

Antique Clocks

Steve Guthrie C.C.

A.W.C.I. Certified Clockmaker with 35 years of experience. I can answer clock repair or maintenance related questions. Please don't expect answers advising the use of bubble gum, bailing wire or WD-40. I only give advice that is meant to preserve your clock in the best possible condition, not make it worse. No questions regarding clock value or identification. I am not a collector and cannot do valuations. Visit my website at:

Clock repairman in the north Texas area for 35 years. Certification as a Clockmaker through the AWCI since 1986.

I was featured in an article by the Watch&Clock Review regarding my restoration of a tower clock for the Wise County courthouse in Decatur, Tx.

Certification as a clockmaker with the American Watchmakers/Clockmakers Institute since 1986.

General public,Six Flags Over Texas,Collin County,Tx.,Wise County,Tx.,Rapides Bank,Rapides Parrish,La.