Antique Clocks/Seth Thomas #4405

Question
I have owned the clock for 20 years.My father-in-law owned it previously,and bought it new 8/3/72.  In the years I have had it, I had one service call.  I cannot recall what the problem was.  It was about the first year I had it.  It was a minor repair.  The clock has never been moved since my father-in-law had it set up.

I did have a problem with it, last year or the previous year.  I
moved the hour hand instead of the minute hand and had a problem with the striking.  I Emailed you and you told me what to do.  That corrected the problem and I have had no problems since until
last week.  I pulled the weights and for some reason the clock does not strike anymore.  It chimes on the hour,and quarter hours, but does not strike the hours.  I hope you can help me.  

Thank you so much.   Gerry

Answer
Since it hasn't been professionally cleaned & overhauled in 40 years, there's no question that it's overdue. That model of Seth Thomas probably has an Urgos movement and they due tend to run longer than other types of movements between cleanings but still should be done every 15-20 years. This isn't a simple adjustment or something that can be owner-corrected. Time to contact a reputable repairman.

Antique Clocks

Steve Guthrie C.C.