Antique Clocks/Setting calendar

Question
How do you set the calendar on a Gilbert wall reg. Thanks so much

Answer
Manually advance the minute hand until the calendar hand clicks forward. Move the hour hand so it's pointing at 12(midnight). Advance the minute hand a few hours then advance the calendar hand to the correct date. Continue with the minute hand to the correct time. If it's a striking model, correct the strike while doing so(see explanation below). These are "simple" calendars so it won't correct for months with less than 31 days, you have to manually advance it on months with 30,29 or28 days.
Countwheel strike correction-Many antique clocks used a count wheel strike which does not self-correct. If the strike is consistently off by the same number, use the following directions to correct it. Advance the minute hand to just before a strike position(@ 2-3 minutes before the 12)then, move the hand back until the clock strikes. For example, if the clock is showing 8 o'clock but striking 9 times, move the minute hand clockwise until it's at 8:57-8:58 then move it backwards to about 8:45 and it should strike 10. Keep repeating this procedure until the strike count matches with the hand position.

Antique Clocks

Steve Guthrie C.C.