Antique Clocks/haller mantle clock

haller mechanism
haller mechanism  

description of haller
description of haller  
hello, I have been given a wooden mantle clock.  the movement is HALLER  269281 is stamped on clock rear.     10 03 is stamped underside of clock case.   it does not have original pendulum. I think it requires a pendulum of 6.5cm length (total length 114CM is stamped on clock rear).
I have no idea of it's age, value is of no concern as it is a gift and would love to have it working.The movement is described as, to quote, "has the finest movement made and will work even if not on level....."   the clock looks clean, has not worked for a long time. I appreciate pendulum weight may be critical so asking an expert seems to be the best !  can you supply a pendulum?  thanks. bds.

Pendulums are available from Merritts ( and probably from Timesavers (  A number of pendulums are pictured on page 91 of their catalog which you should be able to view online. I do not know if the total length is supposed to be of the center of the bob or to the bottom of the bob. Most of the pendulums on this page are between 1 1/4 and 1 5/8" in diameter. The weight varies between 1 1/2 and 3 oz. excluding the extra heavy ones at the bottom of the page. If you select a pendulum which is too short you can always lengthen it with a piece of wire.

Mantle clocks usually use rather light pendulums as the rod has to be kept short to accommodate the case. Thus, their beat rate is quite high necessitating the use of a light pendulum. The weight of the pendulum has relatively little to do with the beat rate of the clock, in general heavier weights are usually associated with more accurate time keeping. However, if it is too heavy the movement has a difficult time swinging it. Grandfather clocks and other tall case clocks usually use heavier pendulum because of their longer pendulum rods. At any rate, any of these 1 1/2 to 2 oz. bobs should work quite well for you.

I looked up Haller clocks on the Internet and determined they were made for a long period of time. The movements and probable the cases were made in Germany. Those made after the second WW until German reunification would have been stamped made in W. German if the country of origin is specified. Otherwise, it probably would have been identified as being made in Germany.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family