Antique Clocks/Ingraham switch

QUESTION: First, thanks for your time. I have an 48 tooth escape wheel Ingraham movement out of some unknown shelf clock.  Is it possible to make some changes to lengthen the suspension to make it work in a kitchen case.  It is a pinned movement marked Pat Oct 78 and Nov 79. I have been repairing American movements for about a year, but don't have the knowledge of verge/pendulum/escape wheel relationships to even know if this is possible. I have tried to read The Modern Clock by Goodrich to gain such understanding, but I just can't comprehend enough.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Bob

ANSWER: OK You need to change the number of leaves in the EW pinion. Adding a leaf should make the clock run faster so you would need to lower the pendulum. You will need to buy a new EW shaft/pinion assembly from Timesavers. Get one with one more leaf than you have now and see if it will mesh with the next wheel when it is in place.  If so, try different pendulum lengths until you get it keeping time and see if it is hanging where you want. If they won't mesh properly you will have to move the next gear but we can explore that together if necessary. Changing the EW from one hub to another is pretty straightforward? I have changed a drop this way only once and I think I was just lucky. The larger pinion fit in and meshed with the next gear ok and the pendulum hung where I wanted it. I hope this is some help but please stay in touch and keep me posted. Feel free to write to my email:

QUESTION: OK. I got the EW and shaft from Merritt's. Now do I remove the center from the EW and put the EW on the hub? Or do I remove the hub from the shaft and stick it in the hub already on the shaft? Maybe there is no difference? Your question mark about this being straightforward was prophetic. Is there some book/dvd that you know of that explains this? Again, thanks for your guidance. Bob

Use the new EW if you want but I would use the old if it is in good shape. The EW should fit snugly on the new hub. Peen the hub in a few places as original or cheat and put a drop of solder on the back. The new pinion should be in about the right place on the shaft but you can move it slightly if needed. Now see if it will fit into the movement and mesh properly. If so, play with the pendulum length until it keeps time. If it won't mesh then the next wheel needs to be moved. I have never done this but I can put a post on the NAWCC message board. Someone will answer and tell us how to do it.  

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber

My experience is mostly with 19th century American clocks. I can answer repair questions and can identify most clocks of this period. I cannot answer questions about non-American clocks.

Many years buying, selling, and collecting American clocks.

NAWCC 14,915

No formal education in this area.