Antique Clocks/Revere Telechron Dual Chime

Question
Electirc Mantel Clock #04162A Type B-3 Chimes are on silent, how hard should we turn pin to get red indicator to silver? Don't want to break it! Chime choice pin turns easy.

Answer
The red indicator should go to silver whenever you set or attempt to set the clock. Pulling out the time set knob to engage the set gears causes a   little cone to move the indicator. The flag will then remain the same color as the clock face until power fails or the clock has been unplugged. The red color will then show to indicate the time shown on the clock may not be accurate. The chime pin has nothing to do with the little red flag.

The very earliest electric clocks had to be manually started after a power failure. Hence, if the clock was not running you knew it was not correct. Early self starting electric clocks used the flag as a precaution against giving false indications of time.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams