Antique Clocks/Shatz & Sohne speed adjustment

Question
Schatz & Sohne 18/1
Schatz & Sohne 18/1  
My 14-year-old son recently bought a lantern clock with a Schatz & Sohne 18/1 movement.  It works fine except that it gains about 5 mins per day.  There is a metal plate at the top of the movement with - and + stamped on it.  How is this used to adjust the speed?

Answer
Schatz escapement
Schatz escapement  
This uses a platform balance escapement but the balance faces the front of the clock, you're seeing the back or base of the escapement. The adjustment lever is shown in the cicled area and is cocked over full fast. Move the lever gradually back toward center, checking the time over 24 hrs. after each adjustment.

Antique Clocks

Steve Guthrie C.C.