Antique Clocks/trademark

Question
Hello. We have a clock we are trying to identify. It is a large slate mantle clock. Stamped on the works is the following. A large oval with the capital letter A followed by a star followed by the capital letter B. All 3 are located within the oval. Can you tell us who the maker and country of origin.? Thank you

Answer
This sounds like a case of the manufacturer of the movement not wanting to disclose who he is. This is quite common as there were many case makers who bought movements from major clock manufacturers and sold them either under their own name or had the jewelry store which sold the clock attach his name to it by way of a stick on label.

United States customs generally required a country of origin to be stamped on either the movement or the case, however, this did not apply to clocks made in the USA.

I would guess the markings you saw were some kind of code which I am not familiar with. Possibly this was put on for warranty purposes. I personally have a grand mother clock with absolutely no identification on either the case or the movement. Possibly it was a kit clock - the workmanship on the case is excellent so it was either made by a cabinet shop or a professional woodworker. The movement is also of unknown origin. So this type of thing is quite common.

Seth Thomas movements seem to have been preferred by case makers. They were of good quality and worked quite well.

Sorry for the late reply but our computer was playing games with us.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams