Antique Clocks/Getting the clock to strike at proper times

I have Grandmothers old Black Mantle Sessions clock. It also shows the E.N. Welch Mfg. Co. on inside.

I let the clock run down some time ago, and I cannot get it to strike on half hour and count out the hours.  On the inside of the back of the clock, it still shows instructions, but a few words here and there are missing, just enough so I cannot read all of it.

I would sure appreciate the instructions to get it striking properly again.  

Nelda Thompson
Colleyville, TX

If it sat for a long time unwound it may require cleaning because the springs were exposed to the air and they may have a slight coating of rust on them.  They will not release with rust on them.  The springs would have to be cleaned and greased as well as the movement cleaned and oiled.  If it is running properly it should strike on the 1/2 and hour just be turning the minute hand to the 6 and 12.  Be sure it is wound tightly.
Please visit our web site:

Antique Clocks

I will answer any clock repair questions to the best of my ability but not appraisal questions.

I have been repairing mechanical and electric clocks for over 25 years.

I am a current expert in the small appliance catagory.

BS Education

We have been in business in the Madison, Wi. area for over 30 years.