Antique Clocks/Winterhalder & Hofmeier Clock

Hello & thank you for your assistance! I purchased a clock at a garage sale this past weekend, and after some research I believe it's a Winterhalder & Hofmeier.  There's a "W&H SCH 5" marking on the inside.  It's not running, although all of the parts seem to be there.  The case & face are in excellent condition.  I didn't find a key, but at the same sale I purchased an older Seth Thomas mantle clock and the key seems to fit both clocks. It's approximately 17" tall, and is very heavy.  

I wonder if you could tell me anything about this particular clock, including when you think it might have been made, and the approximate value.  Thank you so much!

In 1937, after many years of superb quality clockmaking, arguably the finest in Germany, the firm closed its doors for good. The movements produced by this firm around the turn of the 20th century are often mistaken for English movements because of their fine quality.

W&H made Hall, wall and mantel clocks. A 1909 catalog of Grimshaw, Baxter and JJ Elliott Ltd. (fine English clock firm) shows two examples of superb W&H bracket clocks imported by Grimshaw and priced at half the price of similar English examples in the same catalog. The most common trademark was "W&H Sch"(Winterhalder & Hofmeier Schwarzenbach) registered in 1927 but used for some years prior to that. This trademark was usually stamped on the brass movement.

W&H Trademark ~ Winterhalder & Hoffmeier History ~ Antique Clocks Guy

looks like yours must have been made between say 1920's to mid 1930's--I know no more - sorry  

Antique Clocks

Kenneth Saunders

Any mechanical clock question - no battery clock questions and no appraisals. 47 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner. Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks

47+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - Of the 7 antique clock experts provided by, you, Mr. Saunders, were the ONLY one who provided the correct answer that allowed me to solve the problem for which I sought help; thanks a million!!! Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score.... Comment - It's happening!! The clock has run for about 8 hours...I appreciate your quick response and clarity of directions. Thanks so much ! Kenneth really knows his stuff, he has the knowledge about where you can buy replacement parts and where to get repair service or do it yourself. I think I can fix it myself and receive the full value of my clock. He even sent me pictures of clocks like mine sold online so I could get a good idea of the value. Thank you Kenneth for responding so fast and making me feel so confident in repairing my own clock. I vote Kenneth Volunteer of the Year.