Antique Clocks/Ansonia Clock Identification

Ansonia Clock
Ansonia Clock  

Ansonia Clock - b
Ansonia Clock - b  
I recently inherited an Ansonia "gingerbread" clock with alarm. The main spring is wound very tight and at present does not run.  The movement is stamped:   

Ansonia    Clock Co.
         New     York

I removed the face and works inside to refinish the case and had to reinstall them for these photos, (not done refinishing hence no hands). The clock had many many coats of varnish/shellac and my thought is I would rather lower the valve and be able to use and display than to have it relegated to the basement or garage.
Can you please help me identify this clock and what does the 9-1/4 mean?

I found your clock in the 1914 catalog as shown. If the case looked really bad, I doubt refinishing would lower the value. The coils of the spring may be stuck together if it sat fully wound for a long time. Mainsprings have a lot of power and can cut you badly so don't mess with it. Here is an old Yankee trick. Take a piece of cloth 3-4" square and drench it in kerosene. Wring out well, fold and place in the bottom of the clock. The fumes will rise into the movement and (maybe) lubricate it so it will run. If that doesn't work you will need a professional. 9 1/4 is the distance (inches)from the handshaft to the bottom of the pendulum.  

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber

My experience is mostly with 19th century American clocks. I can answer repair questions and can identify most clocks of this period. I cannot answer questions about non-American clocks.

Many years buying, selling, and collecting American clocks.

NAWCC 14,915

No formal education in this area.