Antique Clocks/Oxford electric clock (circa 1930)

I have an antique floor lamp that has an Oxford Self-starting electric  clock mounted in the pole section of the lamp.  I would like to restore it, but the clock does not work.  Would you be able to repair it??  Thanx for any assistance you might be able to give me.

Congratulations on getting such a unique piece.

Before you send this clock off, I would try lubricating it. If it has an open movement putting a drop of oil such as sewing machine oil on the various pivot points where the shafts extend through the side plates and the gears. This will probably get it to run. Sealed movements are somewhat more difficult to lubricate as you must drill a small hole in the end cap to get access.  When you drill this small hole, put a sleeve, some small nuts and or washers so the drill bit can just barely get through. Using the straw that comes with the can, inject carburetor cleaner into the sealed movement. Shake it around and put the coil over the movement and plug it in. Be careful when using this cleaner as it is very flammable. I prefer to do all of this outdoors and keep the plug at a distance from the motor when connecting and disconnecting it. Let the motor run a few minutes then purge the cleaner from the motor. Do this by turning the motor on end so the opening you have created is down. Blow the warm air from a hair dryer onto the motor to heat it so it pushes the solvent out. Again, be careful you do not create any sparks near the motor. You may have to allow the motor to cool and repeat the process to be certain all the solvent is out. After the solvent has been removed, squirt in a little bit of oil as described earlier and you should be good to go. If this does not work send me a picture of the movement at the following e-mail address:  and I will get back with you.

Sometimes open movements get gummy as a result of oxidation of the oil and these too need to be cleaned with carb cleaner before lubrication. Please be aware that carb cleaner has not give permament lubrication. The movement must always be lubricated after its use.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family