Antique Clocks/Set Chimes on Seth Thomas Medbury 5E Electric Mantle Clock

Question
Chimes
Chimes  

Instructions Inside Door
Instructions Inside Do  
I have a Seth Thomas electric mantle clock marked as a Medbury 5E. Model number is E701-004. Instructions inside door say it has B-1800 chime movement with back chime controls. Clock recently purchased at auction. Chimed for several days but has stopped. I have no key and the instructions make no sense. Is there a place to get a key for the chimes and a better description of how to reset the chimes. Instructions say to place key on each arbor but I have no idea what an arbor is and turn the key clockwise. No idea what the key looks like ow what an arbor is. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Keith

Answer
I can not see the entire movement in the picture that you sent but I think I know what you have.
The key is about 2" long and about 1/4" dia. and has a larger end for winding. They have not been made for some time so I do not know if you will find one.  It has a very small square hole in one end that will fit over the square shaft protruding from the back of the clock.  This will wind the chime.  Sometimes you can use a pliers to wind it but be careful in doing so.  All an arbor is is a small shaft.

Once the spring is wound it should stay wound automatically by the electric motor.  Be sure that you have the lever shown in the picture set to the chime position. It looks like it is.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please visit our web site: www.kieferappliance.com

Antique Clocks

Wayne