Antique Clocks/Gustav Becker 2 weight wall clock

I have recently become the owner of one of the above clocks.On lining the pendulum up with the centre of the beat plate I find the clock case at an angle on the wall.
If I Plumb the case with a spirit level then the pendulum and beat plate are not of line.
Can this problem be solved without having to move beat plate or movement backplate ?
Regards Barry

ANSWER: Barry,

It is important first to get the clock straight on the wall. This is usually done by eye. When you have done this put a pin at the bottom to make sure the clock does not swing. I am assuming you have hung the clock on a screw that is in the wall by means of a rawplug. Once the clock is straight, then put the clock in beat, make the tick and tock equal. You can then look at beat plaque. If it is not in the middle after the clock is straight on wall and the clock is in beat, this is not a huge problem. It may have been moved. It is not always perfect in this regard. It is important though that clock is straight and then you put the clock in beat. The last thing to look at is the beat plaque. If it bothers you after doing the above, the only real thing you can do then is adjust beat plaque. If it is close though, I would leave. I am assuming it is screwed to backboard and so unless there are extra holes already where someone has moved in past, it is  not good creating extra ones.

QUESTION: Hello Daniel,
Thanks for your reply this is very helpful but before I proceed with that I would like to ask another question.
I would now like to check serial number to get some idea of the year of manufacture.The only big obstacle I can see is the removal of the pendulum which looks tricky with the pin from the crutch gear going through the slot in the pendulum and stop it from coming down,would I have to partly withdraw the movement to do this ?
Regards Barry

Is the pendulum not hanging separately from the case. Once you remove weights movement should come out if you need to check any serial numbers. I will give you approx date from a picture if you like.  To get the clock in beat is there not a  screw on either side of pendulum which you alter. A picture would be easier for me if you need any further help.

Antique Clocks

Daniel Clements

All questions about pre C1820 UK antique clocks. For the type of clock I can answer questions about, see if your clock is something like one on our website http://

I run a large family UK antique clocks business

We offer a full in house money back guarantee that all our antiques are genuine

Sunday Times Business Section and othe press

All my life working in , restoring and selling genuine antique clocks from the 17th 18th and 19th centuries

My father was the clocks consultant up to 1984 of millers antiques price guide. I have appeared on tv and in national newspapers

Many V.I.P clients from UK and overseas