Antique Clocks/japy freres

Question
Hi I hope you can help
I have put back into working order an old family slate french mantle clock.
But the striking is playing up.When it strikes it is very rapid and only works on the low number hours.
My thought is that the FLY is the problem.
My question is should the FLY be rigidly fixed onto its shaft, currently it is very sloppy. If it should be fixed can I just solder it on or should it be a sliding fit and if so how can I achieve this?
I am only a amateur and you thoughts would be very helpful.
Thank you in advance

Answer
The flywheel or fan has to be able to spin freely on the staff. This is because at the end of the chime cycle a lever drops in the path of a pin which provides a very abrupt stop for the chime movement. The fan then spins a half a turn or so thereby reducing the stress on the movement.

You will probably have to remove the fan staff from the movement and then remove the fan from the staff then give the fan a little squeeze with pliers and reinstall it. Put the fan back on the staff and check how tightly it fits. It should turn with a moderate amount of resistance in the fan but should not be loose like you describe it.

It is best to let the clock run until the springs have exhausted much of their energy before removing the fan. It should be possible to remove it without completely disassembling the movement.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams