Antique Clocks/Seth Thomas Legacy IV clock

Question
Hello Michael,
We just inherited this nice clock that has been sitting unused for some time.  We wound it up according to instructions and it works very nicely.  However, the chimes sound muted.  When I manually strike the chimes with the hammers, pulling back on the hammer just after striking the chime, I get a nice clear sound.  But the clock mechanism is not pulling back (or lifting) the hammers after they strike, and because they simply rest on the chime the sound is muted and of poor quality.

Is this just the way it is, and there is nothing I can do about this?  Or is there a way to calibrate the hammers so they do not rest upon the chime when they strike?

Thank you very much for your help.

-Aaron

Answer
Aaron
 When the hammers are at rest they should be about 1/16 inch above the rods. You may need a little more than this depending on how high the hammers are lifted when striking and how hard they come down. You have to bend them up and let the clock strike and see how it sounds. Its a matter of trial and error. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a video on you tube showing the adjustments.

Mike

Antique Clocks

michael Porter