Antique Clocks/Seth Thomas Legacy IV clock

Hello Michael,
We just inherited this nice clock that has been sitting unused for some time.  We wound it up according to instructions and it works very nicely.  However, the chimes sound muted.  When I manually strike the chimes with the hammers, pulling back on the hammer just after striking the chime, I get a nice clear sound.  But the clock mechanism is not pulling back (or lifting) the hammers after they strike, and because they simply rest on the chime the sound is muted and of poor quality.

Is this just the way it is, and there is nothing I can do about this?  Or is there a way to calibrate the hammers so they do not rest upon the chime when they strike?

Thank you very much for your help.

When the hammers are at rest they should be about 1/16 inch above the rods. You may need a little more than this depending on how high the hammers are lifted when striking and how hard they come down. You have to bend them up and let the clock strike and see how it sounds. Its a matter of trial and error. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a video on you tube showing the adjustments.

Antique Clocks

michael Porter

Any thing to do with the repair antique clocks,and modern german movements. Ithaca Calendar Clocks a speciality. Can do appraisals on Ithaca Clocks only. I do not follow history and values of clocks, other than Ithaca.

Have been repairing professionally since 1980. Revived the Ithaca Calendar Clock Co. and reproduce calendar clocks, also do parts for the same.

Associate degree in accounting.

Local for building a large calendar clock for the locat airport to go with thier new terminal.