Antique Clocks/G.e mantel clock

Question
information on G E mantel clock model ab 533 how old and worth

Answer
The Warren Telechron Company was the pioneer in electric clocks. As far as I know, they were the first to offer a self starting clock. Their clocks had a red flag which appeared when the electric power would fail. This was reset by pulling out the set knob. The purpose of this flag was to warn you the time shown on the clock may not be accurate if the power failure was for a longer period of time. In the 1930's GE absorbed the Warren Telechron Company.

GE continued to use the red flag through the 1930's and discontinued its use during the late 40's and 50's. I checked ebay and they showed an AB531 for $125.00. This was the "buy it now price" and it could sell for less.

Through the succession of years, there were three different motors used on the various clocks. Most of the Westminster chimes used one with a 1" thick gear case. Non chime units used this movement until approximately 1935 then went to one with a 5/8" thick gear box. Those clocks built in the 1960's which did not have a chime even had a smaller movement.

A picture of your clock might be a bit more helpful.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams