Antique Clocks/Hammond mantel clock

I have a Hammond camel back mantel clock. It is similar to the "Arlington" style. The clock keeps stopping on us and I would like to give it a good internal cleaning, and a little oil.
It has two simple nuts on the back to remove the cover over the clockworks. The problem is the quarter size knob that you adjust the clock hands with.
I don't want to force anything, so my question this knob screwed on, or is it a compression fitting? Will it pull of with a little grunting, or should I use a little thread oil and try to back the knob off the shaft?

Thank you for any help and advice you can give me.

All of the clocks in my collection, which have knobs that must be removed to get to the movement, have screw on knobs. To remove the knob, do as follows:

1. Determine which direction the knob must be turned to move the hands forward.
2. Grab the shaft behind the knob with a pair of needle nose pliers.
3. Turn the knob in the direction OPPOSITE that which would turn the hands forward.

Push on knobs are commonly used on clocks where the back has a large enough hole to allow the knob to pass through. These require a puller to remove them. This could, conceivably, be the case in your clock but I doubt the knob could be installed even at the factory without damaging the movement.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family