Antique Clocks/Hammond mantel clock

Question
I have a Hammond camel back mantel clock. It is similar to the "Arlington" style. The clock keeps stopping on us and I would like to give it a good internal cleaning, and a little oil.
It has two simple nuts on the back to remove the cover over the clockworks. The problem is the quarter size knob that you adjust the clock hands with.
I don't want to force anything, so my question is...is this knob screwed on, or is it a compression fitting? Will it pull of with a little grunting, or should I use a little thread oil and try to back the knob off the shaft?

Thank you for any help and advice you can give me.

Answer
All of the clocks in my collection, which have knobs that must be removed to get to the movement, have screw on knobs. To remove the knob, do as follows:

1. Determine which direction the knob must be turned to move the hands forward.
2. Grab the shaft behind the knob with a pair of needle nose pliers.
3. Turn the knob in the direction OPPOSITE that which would turn the hands forward.

Push on knobs are commonly used on clocks where the back has a large enough hole to allow the knob to pass through. These require a puller to remove them. This could, conceivably, be the case in your clock but I doubt the knob could be installed even at the factory without damaging the movement.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams