Antique Clocks/Hemel 130-020 adjustment

I recently purchased a kienger mantle clock that has a Hermle 130-020 movement. It is working well but loses approx. 1minute a day. I can not figure out how to adjust. There is a + & - clearly stamped onto the casing either side if the balance but I fail to see how to adjust.

Adjustment will depend on the age of the mechanism. The newer style Hermle balance is shown in the first image and is adjusted by turning the screw at the upper right (circled). One complete turn changes the timekeeping by 1 min./day. The older style is shown in the second image and is adjusted by holding the balance rim gently with your finger while pushing one of the two adjustment tabs (arrow) toward the "+" or "-". Each dot on the balance rim represents 10 sec./day in adjustment.

Antique Clocks

Steve Guthrie C.C.

A.W.C.I. Certified Clockmaker with 35 years of experience. I can answer clock repair or maintenance related questions. Please don't expect answers advising the use of bubble gum, bailing wire or WD-40. I only give advice that is meant to preserve your clock in the best possible condition, not make it worse. No questions regarding clock value or identification. I am not a collector and cannot do valuations. Visit my website at:

Clock repairman in the north Texas area for 35 years. Certification as a Clockmaker through the AWCI since 1986.

I was featured in an article by the Watch&Clock Review regarding my restoration of a tower clock for the Wise County courthouse in Decatur, Tx.

Certification as a clockmaker with the American Watchmakers/Clockmakers Institute since 1986.

General public,Six Flags Over Texas,Collin County,Tx.,Wise County,Tx.,Rapides Bank,Rapides Parrish,La.