Antique Clocks/Clock chime

I have just been given a large mantle clock which was given to my granny and grandad in 1928.My mum just had it restored to working order and it keeps the time fine.The only problem is that it chimes ather loudly and I am concerned that it will wake my neighbours!Is there any way I can stop it chiming or even just stop it at night ?I can't find a make on it- but it says 'made in France'
Thanks so much

Many older clocks are missing the leather pad on the hammer which strikes the chime gong. Age takes its toll on this and causes the metal of the hammer to strike the gong without the cushioning affect of the pad. This makes the clock very loud and gives it somewhat of a tinny ring. You can probably correct this problem by super gluing a piece of leather from an old shoe or any other source to the hammer. Replacement hammers and hammer plastic tips are available from organizations such as Merritts ( and Timesavers ( at a reasonable cost.

Congratulations on getting such a fine time piece.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family